What is life without labour? Here’s what I do and what I’ve done.
I run a web design shop called MG Creative. I help small businesses and individuals realize their goals on the web, with an emphasis on design clarity and content quality. Web design speaks deeply to my love of solving problems. Mobile platforms have introduced many new design challenges to the web, and I embrace them wholeheartedly. Check out my web design and project history at MG Creative.
I come from a blue collar family – a long line of tradesmen. This fact finds its way into my work as a web designer, and it informs what I do as an electrical estimator. The job fulfils my love for organized problem solving and information design. There is a reallness to the construction industry. Tangible, useful things are built with great care and artistry.
Speaking & Teaching
I pride myself on being an engaging, entertaining speaker. I have spoken at many conferences and events on topics related to the intersection of artists and the web. Here are a few of my speaking highlights:
- Mobile Technologies – ELLA (Edmonton Lifelong Learners Association), May 2012
- Computer Basics – ELLA, May 2012
- Getting More Out of The Internet – ELLA, May 2011
- Information Technologies Demystified – ELLA, May 2010
- Writers and the Internet: How to Tame the Web – Canadian Authors Association, September 2009
- The Writer Online – Canadian Author’s Association Conference, July 2008
- Writers on the Web – The Edmonton Public Library, November 2007
- Writing the Land – The Writers Guild of Alberta Conference, September 2007